11.26.2008

Black Metal Logos




Really Worth Reading

Vice: So, Christophe Szpajdel, we hear that you’re the master of black-metal logos. But who are you, really?

Christophe: I am 37 years old, I come from Belgium but I live in Exeter, Devon, in the UK. In the last 20 years I have drawn more than 7,000 logos, mostly for black- and death-metal bands from all over the world, including Emperor, Moonspell, Nachtmystium, and Enthroned.

Will you stab me with a cursed, ruby-encrusted dagger if I say that I think you’re inspired by the Art Deco and Art Nouveau eras?

No. I am a big fan of Art Deco, Art Nouveau, and the Vienna Secession artists. But most important is a school of calligraphy that I created and developed. It’s called Depressiv’Moderne, and it’s a result of the merging of Art Deco, depressive dark ambient, and the actual economic depression we are in right now.

No comments: