5.12.2010

I just want to watch


I stopped by the Warhol museum today is Pittsburgh, PA- a place I've wanted to go to my whole life. I fucking love Andy Warhol, I love his persona, his disposition, his awkward appeal and his innate ability as an artist to own it. The musuem certainly exceeded my expectations... all 6 floors of it, the taxidermy great dane, room full of silver inflated metallic floating balloon pillows and all 89 television screens playing every film Warhol had ever made, been in or been a part of. I almost bought this book again, I think I've already read it 4 times- but I love it. Read it.

Andy Warhol is known for taking common objects and repeating and exploiting them until all meaning, value and association is lost and they simply become common, familiar and recognizable to the masses. In my opinion, this can also be said for his current popularity and iconic image that he has become, but frankly, I think that is probably exactly what he would have wanted.

I loved the display case that held his old black reeboks, black turtleneck and Levi's jeans that he would wear everyday- so much. I wish we could have hung out, I know we'd get along....

No comments: